Co-living can be a wonderful experience if housemates play their part in keeping the house tidy, respect laid-down rules and are considerate of one other.
If you currently live or are considering living in a shared apartment, here are some easy tips that will make you Housemate of The Year. 🏆 🏡
1. Be a good person.
Be the type of human being you’d like to live with as a housemate. Be polite, considerate and friendly. Exchange contact details, and be generally pleasant.
2. Hoarding is one of the seven deadly sins.
Have an agreement with your housemates on the division of storage, fridge space, food labelling, and proper disposal of expired food.
3. Don't take it if you didn't put it there.
Self-explanatory; if it's not yours, don't take it. Or at least ask permission to.
4. Being noisy is, also, one of the seven deadly sins.
Keep noise levels low. Respect your fellow housemates' possible need for quiet time either to study or to sleep.
5. Keep common/shared areas as tidy as possible.
No one likes to deal with a mess left by another person (unless they're getting paid for it). Be sure to clean up after yourself in all shared areas-kitchen, dining, living area etc.
6. Respect everyone's personal space
Everybody needs personal space, regardless of how outgoing they might be. Try not to intrude on your housemates' privacy.
- Always take out your key from behind the entrance door. Don't be that person who locks everyone outside.
- Be sure to give your housemates a few days' notice before having multiple guests over.